Sunday, February 22, 2009

Almost 14 months...

At almost 14 months of age Freja is experiencing her first estrus (heat) cycle. The first symptom I noticed was a rather obnoxious change in her behavior, but I didn't realize that behavior changes were part of her cycle. She stopped listening to me when she was loose in the yard and would not come when called. I thought perhaps she was going through a teenage phase. It didn't occur to me that she was going into heat until I noticed drops of blood on the floor in the house. I thought perhaps she cut one of her feet on something on our walk, but when I wiped her feet there was no blood. That's when I realized that the blood was not from her feet...

This will be Freja's only estrus cycle. In April Freja will have a full check-up with her vet and we will decide on a date for her spay operation.

No comments: