Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Freja's Blog

Hello, and welcome to the My Friend Freja (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd) blog. I hope to use this blog to provide pictures and updates of Freja and share information about her breed, the Shiloh Shepherd.

Freja is a 12 week old plush coat, dual-colored Shiloh Shepherd puppy who will become part of our family next week sometime. Her parents are Val and Acer at New Zion Shilohs (http://www.newzionshilohs.org). The breeder is the Shiloh Shepherd breed founder, Tina Barber.

The Shiloh Shepherd is a developing breed founded by Ms. Barber. Ms. Barber's family has a long history with the German Shepherd Dog breed from which the Shiloh Shepherd breed was developed. You can read about the history of the Original Shiloh Shepherd breed at the Shiloh Shepherds web site at http://www.shilohshepherds.org/.

I discovered the Shiloh Shepherd breed quite by accident one day when I was reading listings for German Shepherd dogs on Petfinder. One of the listings showed a picture of a very large male GSD-looking dog and the description said, "possibly part Shiloh." I had never heard of the Shiloh Shepherd and out of curiosity I did a Google search for "Shiloh Shepherd" and lo and behold I found the Shiloh Shepherds web site and the associated Shiloh Shepherd Forums. The dog pictured on the first page of the forum at the time bore a remarkable likeness to an "old style" German Shepherd Dog my family had had when I was a very young child. That image alone struck a chord, and with further reading by all descriptions the Shiloh Shepherd was also in many other ways very much like that particular dog, Max, and I was intrigued and wanted to learn more.

After reading a lot of information, chatting with the numerous Shiloh owners, breeders and admirers on the forums, and attending two pet events where I was able to meet a Shiloh Shepherd breeder, Sheila Masse of Rising Star Shilohs, and several real Shiloh Shepherds (Manny, Joy, Sezar, and Timber) in person I knew that the next canine member of our family would be a Shiloh.

Our family consists of myself, my husband, our 3.5 year old son, a 10-13 year old beagle and two cats. The humans at least are excited to welcome our new addition soon!

No comments: