Saturday, May 10, 2008

Freja and the real, live bunny

I often let Freja out the back door at night to go potty before bed and only step out onto the back steps myself. Freja is so good about staying in the yard and coming back when called that I haven't been putting her leash on her, but I have now learned that it would probably be smarter if I did.

Freja met her first real, live bunny the other night. It was 11pm and I opened the back door, stepped out and Freja followed me and then went down the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs she stood, stacked staring ahead and I looked to see what had gotten her attention and saw the flash of a cottontail's fluffy tail as it leaped through the grass towards our neighbor's yard. Like a flash Freja was chasing the bunny, tail wagging and despite my attempts to call her back she could not resist the chase. I don't think Freja wanted to hurt the bunny. I think she wanted to play with it.

I had to trudge through the damp grass barefoot and wearing my pajamas to retrieve her from the neighbor's back yard. In any case, Freja will now be on her training lead when she goes out at night.

No comments: