Thursday, April 10, 2008

She's Home!

Freja came home from the vet hospital last night. She tested negative for Parvo. She is on several medications for about a week, and prescription food for a couple of days, but otherwise she is much, much better.

Freja has a Giardia infection. Giardia is a protozoa that can cause diarrhea in puppies and dogs. There are actually several species of Giardia. The one that affects dogs is called Giardia canis. While scientists are uncertain they believe that Giardia canis does not affect humans. Giardia lamblia is the species that affects humans. In any case, it is spread by fecal-oral contact, so... enough said.

She's doing much better!

5 comments:

LaReya said...

Hi! This is LaReya. I co-own yellow girl from the same litter as Freja! Love the name by the way! I'm so excited to see all the wonderful pictures you took! I haven't taken that many myself, but I was so entertained when I popped the picture up on the screen and she has the same light marking on her muzzle! Truly sisters! She also has giardia tho, so we're having a hard time with that. She's very smart but she's turning so mischevious! LOL She opened the door to the house yesterday to come in to where I was and she runs away playing when I come close to her, especially after I've told her to come LOL I look forward to talking to you in the future! I have to add you to my favorites. My mom is on the shiloh shepherd forum, but i'm not yet. I have to do that to get alerts :P Nice talking to you!

Kari said...

Hi LaReya! I can't wait to see pictures of Freja's Yellow Girl sister. Yellow Girl is going to look just like their Great Great Grandma Mona when she grows up, I think. I have seen pictures of Mona and she was a beautiful girl.

Freja had 3 doses of Panacur and Ampicillin in the vet hospital and is now on Amoxicillin, Amforol, and Metronidazole for the Giardia. She is MUCH better now and has been having solid, formed poops for two days.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe shes doing so much better so soon! Our Zara is still having issues :( She's still having puddles, nothing firm at all LOL Im not sure which medications shes on, since I'm the co owner with my mom, my mom handled her medications. I'll show some pictures once my mom gets back from camping and hiking with her, I hope she gets some good pics!

Kari said...

I think your Yellow Girl is actually Freja's half-sister. Freja is from the Val/Acer litter. I just saw on SSF that Zara is from the Angie/Acer litter.

Acer is producing some gorgeous female pups.

Anonymous said...

You're right :( I just called my mom and she said its Angie and Acer, I was confused :S Oh well, still related LOL